JET Alumni Associate Region 9, Texas and Oklahoma, hosted elections this spring, inviting platforms from interested and eligible candidates starting Feb 22, 2017 (announced via newsletter). On March 13, 2017, candidates and their platforms were announced and voting commenced using Survey Monkey. Voting closed on March 20, 2017.
The following elected board representatives and vacancies were announced March 21, 2017, over the JETAA Texoma newsletter and the Facebook group and page.
President — Timothy Roller
Vice President — Gregory Gaylor
Treasurer — Jessica Holloway
Secretary — Alisa Tobin
Web Master — Dusty Downing
Press Officer — Rochelle Breen
Houston/South Texas Regional Officer — Emily Gurvis
Austin/Hill Country Regional Officer — Jaymie Udan
San Antonio/West Texas Regional Officer — Ian Cruz
Dallas/North Texas Regional Officer — No applications received, position open. Email PressOfficer@jetaatexoma.
Oklahoma — No applications received, position open. Email PressOfficer@jetaatexoma.
The May mid-month newsletter will be all about food, celebrating a hot hot summer bounty with memories and recipes from our time in JET.
We would love your participation, and there are two ways to contribute.
First, your recipes!
Eligible submissions: A recipe for something you personally made during JET, limited to 250 words. It doesn’t need to be fancy or traditionally Japanese! You can also include a 100 word (or fewer) introduction to your recipe–how you found it or made it, why you still remember it, etc.
Number of submissions: One person may submit multiple entries; however, if you submit a photo, please send one email per recipe & photo to work with email size constraints.
Accompanying photo: aim for roughly 50 kb in size and/or 600-800 pixels wide or tall.
Send to: PressOfficer@jetaatexoma.org (subject “JETAA Foodie”). In the email contents, tells us your name, JET years, position and location. For example, “Rochelle Breen, ALT 2014-2015. Gunma-ken, Maebashi-shi.”
Deadline: SUNDAY*, May 14, 2017 (extended; the previous newsletter advertised an earlier deadline) at 11 a.m.
However, if you didn’t use your tiny Japanese kitchen once, or make anything resembling food during JET but you still think you have an awesome food-related memory you’d like to share along with a photo, you can. We may not include all submissions, but feel free to follow the photo and email instructions above. Same deadline, only your word count limit is 200 words: describe the food or how it was made and why it was an iconic moment in your JET experience.
Whichever way you submit, I can’t wait to hear your fond food memories!
*The newsletter published the correct date (May 14), but not the day of the week, which previously read “Monday”. Apologies!
If you’re a JET Alumni and you want to volunteer at our booth at Japan Festival Houston 2017, May 6 or May 7, here’s how:
1. Click the In It Live link: https://app.initlive.com/JE/bybejjzff9771i
2. Create an account for volunteers at Japan Fest by entering your first & last name, email address, and a password for this volunteer account.
3. Check to agree to the event waiver.
4. Enter your date of birth, sex, phone number, and an emergency contact.
5. Read the two-tab info box and click out of it.
6. Look at my pictures below for how to find and fill out Step 1 of the Questionnaire.
And that’s it. In 5-7 minutes you’re signed up to volunteer at the JETAA Texoma booth at Japan Fest Houston! Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!
Houston has spoken! The books selected for the first Houston-area book club are, in order of month of suggested reading:
July 2017: Silence by Shusaku Endo
September 2017: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
November 2017: Our Land was a Forest by Kayano Shigeru
January 2018: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
March 2018: The Sarashina Diary by Lady Sharashina
April 2018: Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley
The order is subject to change based on member feedback.
If you are interested in reading and meeting about the first book, Silence, RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
RSVP’s are not binding, but will help us anticipate the number of participants. In your email, please also indicate where you are located in Houston, e.g. Sugarland, the Heights, Katy, EaDo, etc. This will help me to choose a meeting place each month.
At the top of each meeting I will welcome newcomers, give a brief introduction of our book club, and ask you to introduce yourself. We will then segue into the discussion. I would like for members to be active participants! If you are interested in leading the inaugural discussion on Silence, please say so.
After concluding each meeting, another similar announcement will be sent out via the Newsletter and Facebook.
- *Kanchoh: El Presidente, the big cheese, or in reality the little pokey stick charged with motivating and growing our community, keeping us involved with the various Japan related groups throughout the district and the world (seriously, whole globe), interact with CLAIR and the Consulate, give speeches, bear the burden of Japanese expectation weighing heavily on you…all the cool stuff! Involves attending quite a few formal events and making small talk.
- Vice President: Stands in for the president when things get rough or it’s helpful. Takes over direction of specific events as necessary, helps spread the word about JETAA, engages with CLAIR or the Consulate as needed, helps with local activities.
- *Treasurer: Keeping track of the money, receipts, funds from CLAIR and other sources, informing other officers how to go about this, keeping good records in case we’re ever audited, etc.
- Secretary: Records and arranges minutes from meetings, reminds people of plans and schedules to keep forward progress going, drafts official communications as necessary, enjoys organized organizations. We really need someone for this!
- Press Officer: A new role! In charge of the quarterly/bi-monthly newsletter (gathering information on happenings among JETAA and the Japanese communities regionwide), keeping our Twitter, Facebook, and Website feeds active, interfacing with people in similar roles for other chapters, CLAIR and the Consulate. This person loves hitting the share button! We really need someone for this!
- *Webmaster: In charge of technical updates to the website, changes to thematics, plugins, etc.
- Regional Officer (multiple positions): Low key role in charge of letting other local JETAA know about local events and telling the wider TEXOMA group about local events, organizing (in the loosest way) enkais, picnics, trivia, and other events that suit your fancy. Taking pictures at events to share with the TEXOMA group and other chapters. Being a contact for newly returning JETAA to welcome them back home!
- NORTH TEXAS (DFW area)
- SOUTH TEXAS (Houston and surrounding areas reaching as far as Brownsville if necessary)
- SAN ANTONIO/WEST TEXAS (San Antonio/San Marcos and surrounding areas, reaching as far as El Paso if necessary)
- AUSTIN (AUSTIN Greater Metro and Hill Country)
Well, it’s been a while since we’ve been active on the web page, and it’s time to change that! With new integration tools at our disposal we’re in a better position to link things between here, Facebook, and Twitter, as well as have a unified calendar. We want to make sure everyone is on the same page as far as events and activities go! ワクワク！Expect an update on elections later today!
“Who’s free for an afternoon at Martin House Brewery in Fort Worth next Saturday? Hope to see you there!”
Please RSVP via Facebook.
Join Texoma JETAA pals and 8 Fukushima University students (6 Japanese and 2 International) for a lovely Restaurant Weeks brunch at Ouisie’s Table located at 3939 San Felipe St, Houston, Texas 77027 (brunch will be $25/pp)
The students are all participating in the “Business English Internship: Texas 2014” program. This is the 5th year of this program, which promotes the students’ English skills as well as their cultural understanding of the US and US government institutions. 6 of the students are interning at the City of Houston, and 2 are at the Harris County Housing Authority.
Our Second Annual Texoma JETAA 2013 Central Texas Camping Trip is just around the corner. We would like to invite both members of JETAA, their families, and friends to Central Texas for a weekend of good times. The event will take place on November 15-17 at Pedernales State Park.
Friday, November 15- Sunday November 17, 2013
5:00 ~ 8:00 PM Friday, Nov 15th – 2:00 PM Sunday Nov 17th
Pedernales State Park, Texas (2585 Park Road 6026, Johnson City, Texas 78636)
If you are planning on coming, please fill out the form at the “continue reading” link as soon as possible.
Please email any questions to email@example.com
Continue reading “Second Annual Central Texas Camping Trip”