In this issue:
● Diversity Fair @TMC
●Climbing Mt. Fuji
● Music Review: Yura Yura Teikoku
● Yakuza: Exploring Japan’s Darkside
● Resturant Review: Ramen at Teppay
● Salmon and Tofu Miso Soup
● Cooking With Dog
● Nic’s Kombini Corner
Japan Disaster Relief Benefit
Saturday, April 2, 2011 from 3:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Texoma JETAA is hosting a casual benefit this Saturday, April 2, to collect money for the Japanese disaster relief efforts.
- There will be free food, raffel prizes, TVs to watch the Final Four, and more!
- A suggested $10 donation at the door will go to the Japaense Red Cross.
- This event is open to the public (& all ages), so please feel free to invite others!
- Registration is NOT necessary, but it will help us get an idea of how many people are planning to attend
Date: Saturday, April 2
Time: 3pm – 8pm (come and go as you please)
Location: The Bull & Bear, 11980 Westheimer, Houston, TX 77077
As you have undoubtedly been watching the tragic news unfold in Japan, I hope that you’ve been able to get in touch with friends and loved ones in the affected areas.
JETAA USA Relief Fund
I know that right now we are all wondering what we can do and where we can direct donations securely. JETAA USA has done a wonderful job of creating a relief fund (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YBW32VZP4WLY2) and a regularly updated blog (http://www.jetaausa.com/) with information, links, and resources on how you can help.
JETAA USA Relief Fund Campaign Poll
JETAA USA is currently deciding on a national campaign that can be promoted to JET alumni across the country. They have created an online poll at TwtPoll: http://twtpoll.com/7b01z5, which does not require a login of any type. Please vote on which option you think is best, or write in another option in the “Other” section if you have a good idea.
JETAA Texoma Fundraising & Japan Festival Planning
Our local chapter will be collecting donations to bolster relief efforts as well. Texoma officers have a Japan Festival planning meeting scheduled on Wednesday, March 23rd at 6:30pm (location TBA) where we will also be talking about Japan earthquake/tsunami fundraising ideas. If you have ideas you would like to come and discuss, let our secretary David Park know that you’ll be joining: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Texoma JETAA Officers
The Consulate-General of Japan at Houston and the Japan-America Society of Houston will be co-hosting a lecture to discuss the coming APEC meeting in Hawaii. The title for the event is “Reinvigorating APEC: Roles for the U.S. and Japan” which will be delivered by Takashi Terada, a scholar from the Institute for Asian Studies at Waseda University, Tokyo Japan. The lecture will take place Friday, March 11, 2011 at the residence of the Consul-General of Japan. Reservations are required.
Date: Friday, March 11, 2011
Time: 6:30 pm
Location: Consul-General Residence