From April 16, 2019, the website will undergo updates and may not be completely accessible. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
Despite Hurricane Harvey, JETAA TEXOMA was more active than ever, hosting and participating in the following stellar events to promote cross-cultural understanding and connect JET Program Alumni across Texas and Oklahoma.
2017-2018 Recurring Events
- 6 trivia nights in Houston: April ‘17, May ‘17, June ‘17, October ‘17, February ‘18, March ‘18.
- 4 Book Club Meetings: Silence (July ‘17), The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (October ‘17), Our Land Was a Forest: An Ainu Memoir (January ‘18), and Aristotle & Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (April ‘18)
2017 Events We Supported or Facilitated
- May 6-7: Alumni provided information about the JET Program at Japan Festival Houston
- Jun 24: JET Q&A Session for Departing JET’s, in which alumni advised outgoing JET’s on topics such as health, team teaching, and daily life in Japan
- Jul 22: 2017 Departing JETs Farewell Reception held at the Consul-General of Japan in Houston’s residence
- Aug 3-Aug 6: President Tim Roller, Vice President Greg Gaylor, and Treasurer Jessica Holloway represented our chapter at the 2017 JETAA USA National Conference in Washington D.C. and the JET Program’s 30th Anniversary Reunion
- Aug 19: Austin Alumni gathered for karaoke
- Aug 31: Hurricane Relief Fund raised $1000 to assist local JET Alumni affected by the storm
- Sep 16: ‘Houston Strong’ Day of Service for Hurricane Harvey recovery efforts
- Nov 11: Houston Nengajo Party, co-hosted with The Japan-America Society of Houston, educated attendees about the Nengajo custom and helped them create their own
- Dec 9: Bounenkai 2017 gathered more than 40 Attendees including Alumni members, members of the local Japanese community, and guests from JASH, the Consulate-General of Japan in Houston, and CLAIR
2018 Events We Supported or Facilitated
- Jan 21: Shin-nen-kai 2018 in Austin
- Feb 11: JET Returnee Reception
- Feb 17: Austin Alumni Meeting
- Mar 18: Texas Japanese Speech Contest, to which JETAA Texoma donated a small gift for winners in the haiku category